Sunday, June 17, 2007

Anime Review : Digimon Savers

Finally, got myself to watch an amine after around 2 month. It was all due to myself preparing for my thesis exams, which I did pass. And like other ordinary people, I guess doing some relaxation and cooling down would do after the hard work done. One thing that I had in mind was to rent an anime. An i put my choice on the Digimon Series. Why???The last episode that i watch was episode 40, and with 2 month passed, I guess it should be time for the rest of the episodes to be available at the anime rental. And luckily things proved me right. Not only it was avalilable but also no one was renting it. And so I took the liberty to rent it.

Digimon Savers is the fifth digimon season since it started at around 2000. The last series before Savers was Digimon Frontier wich aired at around 2003 or 2004. After this, it took a hiatus for around 3 years before continuing with Savers. I do have to admit, the story of the digimon franchise since Frontier was getting dull, and I think getting a rest for some time was a good job.

And because of this, I do believe that Savers has a more fresh storyline than the previous ones. Even though some main things are still the same, some parts have been changed. For instance is the age of the characters. The previous series had kids around 7 to 13 as the main characters with their digimons. But now, the cast has been aged with an age around 14-20. The other characters here also have a more older age but they still have their partner digimon. It seems that this series doesn't want to get trapped with the designation "The Digi-Destined" as said in the four earlier seasons. An since the cast have older age, I think this saying also doesn't fit either.

The storyline itself is standard for the digimon franchise. The series it self to me is divided into three major arcs. The first third of the series covers around the introduction of the main characters and their partners. The second third revolves around their start of their adventures in the Digital world whereaes the last third tells their story with the final boss of the series. The first arc to me started quite good, managing to explain each others background sufficiently. Eventhough it felt a bit slow paced, I think the directors managed to do a good job here.

The next arc is the starting of the main story and the villains. It is here also that the main characters manage dot go to the Digital World. And through this arc, they also managed to unleash their digi-evolution process till their ultimate levels. As for the last arc, the main and final villain is introduced. I feel that the mix of the arcs are fine, eventhough having the second arc much longer than the others. Personally, I don;t mind about the first and second arcs of the series. What I really want to talk is the last arc. I really was surprised that they had Yggdrasil and his Royal Knights as their opponents. It sure is welcome but I found it quite distrubing that the Royal Knights were placed as the antagonist here.

Another thing that is worth noting is the introduction to the burst mode evolution> Eventhough officially it's not considered another evolution process, it ended up quite good. Too bad but I find it too cliche as this mode was used to many times as a cheap plot device. I was hoping that the directors tried to explore the other digivolution process like DNA evolution or sorts. Ah ya. . . don't forget Agumon here. What's to be noted is that he gets a new evolution line here which is different from the evolution line introduced in the first series. The new line.....I think it's good but for the ultimate level, I think Wargreymon looks cooler than Shinegreymon.

Speaking of evolution lines here, I think either they messed it up or they wanted to introduce some new ones. Besides Agumon, Piyomon here also gets it's evolution line here changed with Birdramon for his adult level to Aquilamon. I think this thing has to do with the introduction of the D-Chronicle manga where they first introduced a digimon with more than one evolution line.

Overall, the story was good. But I think they got the last arc a bit too rushed. They only manage to explore the diiferences within the Royal Knights to just the brawl of Dukemon against Sleipmon. They could have done more with this. Another thing that bothers me is the lack of inconsistency of the quality of animation. The inconsistency increased reaching the last 15 episodes of the series. Sometime they have this light animation but when it goes to an episode with deep stories or theme, the animation suddenly changes to a more darker and detailed animation. I do prefer the latter, but I somehow feel it has this hentai doujin animation quality with it, which is something kids should'nt watch.

Anyway, now that the series has ended, I hope they make another digimon series. I do hope a series without the involvement of humans as they did in the CGI movie Digimon X-Evolution. This movie was cool. Too bad it was only a movie. Also, I do hope they try to explore more about the previous things that haven't been explained in the other series like The Sovereigns, Armor Evolution, X-Antibody and so.

No comments:

Post a Comment