Friday, June 29, 2007

Movie Review : NANA


Orginally, this film was released around 2 years ago, which was around 2005. When first reading about the synopsis, I did think it had a decent story. TYoo bad I didn't have much time to watch this movie. At least I did back Up the original VCD which I rented. Just in case I'll get to watch it in the future.

And it was just recently that I decided to open up my movie collection and try watching it. Honestly, what made me want to watch this movie is that I'm recently hooked up with the soundtracks of the movie, especially the ballads sung by Yuna Ito. Don't forget the catchy songs by Mika Nakashima who plays the main role of the film.

Indeed, after watching the film, it does somehow opens up a new horizon in my experience of wacthing movies. The film itself is based upon a manag titled NANA also. It tells the story of two persons by the same name which is NANA. Their fates cross each other when they meet and the story continues towards their lives.

I haven't read the manga, so I can't give an objective evaluation. But to me, I think the story itself is quite decent. It portrays the struggle of an indie band to become popular and the romance between the characters. For this movie, which is the first of the two, it mainly portrays the story of Nana Osaki, the Black Stone vocalist with her ex boyfriend who now is a famous guitarist who plays for their rival band TRAPNEST.

I think what made this movie boomed in Japan was mainly because of the songs in the movie. I do have to admit, the songs, both by Mika Nakashima and Yuna Ito have a great color in them which makes the songs always enjoyable to hear. Eventhough, I think Mika's part as Nana here also plays a good part. Here role here sure is fit for her, especially the short hair which she cut for the movie. Makes her look a bit masculine there.

And so I guess I've gotta watch the sequal to it. Hope the story does at least match up with the first one because I heard some of the cast from the first move aren't gonna reprise their roles again. Lets See...

No comments:

Post a Comment